The Centre builds upon the vivid exchange of inter- and transdisciplinary research and teaching projects established over the past ten years at the English Department/University of Cologne with colleagues from Germany and Australia. In 2009 Prof. Dany Adone and Prof. Beate Neumeier established the Dr. R. Marika Chair of Australian Studies with the financial support of the DAAD and the University, which was held by internationally renowned Australian scholars in literary and cultural studies (Prof. Bill Ashcroft, Prof. Kay Schaffer, Prof. Sue Kossew, Prof. Paul Arthur) and linguistics (Prof. Brian Devlin, Prof. Rob Amery, Prof. Patrick McConvell, Prof. Harold Koch). The establishment of this Chair provided the opportunity for the development of a broad network with Australian universities and enabled fruitful collaborations of faculty and students.
The Centre for Australian Studies has arranged for trans- and interdisciplinary institutional collaboration with many partner institutions abroad in Australia and elsewhere, including:
- Australian Catholic University
- Beijing Foreign Studies University
- Charles Darwin University
- Curtin University
- Edith Cowan University
- Mirima Dawang Woorlab-gerring Language and Culture Centre
- University of Adelaide
- University of Sydney
- University of Western Australia
- Western Sydney University
Members of the Centre for Australian Studies have also been engaged in individual collaboration, and hold research positions in other institutions engaging in Australian Studies.
- Co-Director of the Centre for Australian Studies Prof. Dany Adone is Adjunct Professor associated with the College of Indigenous Futures, Arts & Society at CDU, a Visiting Professor at AIATSIS, a Visiting Scholar at the Mirima Dawang Woorlab-gerring Language and Culture Centre in Kununurra, and Associate Professor at the University of Sydney, where she is also a member of the Sydney Indigenous Research Network and Sydney Centre for Language Research.
- Victoria Herche is Adjunct Research Fellow at the Edith Cowan Centre for Global Issues, in the School of Arts and Humanities, Edith Cowan University, Perth, and is on the Executive of the International Australian Studies Association (InASA).
- David Kern is a research associate at Curtin University’s School of Media, Creative Arts and Social Inquiry.
Other Interdisciplinary Associations
As well as institutional and personal collaborations, the Centre for Australian Studies itself maintains relations with several other trans- and interdisciplinary research centres and associations, including:
German Association for Australian Studies (GASt)
International Australian Studies Association (InASA)
ANU Australian Studies Institute (AuSI)
The Australia-Germany Research Network (AGRN), Australian Embassy Germany
Global South Studies Center (GSSC) at the University of Cologne
Tri-Lateral Workshop ‘Migration and Social-Cultural Change Workshop’ 2019, a collaboration between the Australian Studies Institute at ANU, and the Australian Studies Centres at Beijing Foreign Studies University and the Centre for Australian Studies, University of Cologne